You may be able to request that this charge be dismissed by taking a driving safety course, motorcycle operator course or specialized driver safety course for seatbelt offenses . However, you will lose that right if you do not provide written notice to the Court on or before your appearance date. Military personal should contact the court for DSC instructions.
DSC Disqualification Reasons:
Person’s holding a commercial driver’s license at time of offense; non-Texas driver’s license; speeding 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit; committing a traffic offense in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present; passing a school bus loading or unloading children; leaving the scene of an accident are excluded from taking a driving safety course.
To qualify for DSC you must:
- Present a written request before answer date on citation;
- Plead guilty or nolo contendere and waive a jury trial;
- Pay court costs in the amount of $107.10 unless offense occurred in a school-crossing zone, then pay court costs in the amount of $132.00;
- Present to the court a valid Texas driver's license or permit;
- Present to the court proof of financial responsibility (automobile liability insurance);
- Present to the court a certified copy of your driver's license record from the Department of Public Safety ;
- Present to the court a uniform certificate of driving safety course completion from a Texas Education Agency approved course; and
- Swear to an affidavit that you are not currently taking a driving safety course nor have you taken one that is not yet reflected on your driving record.
Contact the court for information on requirements before registering to take a driving safety course. Not all offenses are eligible for a driving safety course.